Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Monday, July 23, 2007

Personal Goals and Group Values




Up with People exists today to spark people to action in meeting the needs of theircommunities, countries and the world while building bridges of understanding as a foundation for world peace.

Yup, that is the overall mission of Up with People

But I know how important it is for me to set personal goals so I won't find myself "lost" in the middle of the semester -- or much worse -- CONFUSED at the end of the semester. (Who knows? I might be in danger of wanting to be a world famous pop star when I get home, hehe)

I am hoping to come out of this experience more confident about myself and knowing what I want to do best and where I am best at. I do fully intend to return to the Philippines and use the experience that I gained here for my professional growth. I am still looking forward to a career in social development work.
I wish to:
- challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone
- improve my communication skills
- know more about different cultures
- practice interacting with people from different backgrounds
- establish an international network
- challenge myself to write about my experiences (and GET PUBLISHED!!)
- improve my habits in being globally aware
I am looking forward to seeing or learning about:
- how people around the world work together to make their communities a better place
- different non-profits and how they sustain operations
- education programs or educational system in communities around the world (mostly about how communities are involved in the public school system)


And more miscellaneous stuff:
- to use my experience with admin and logistics work to assist Up with People
- to give my castmates a unique learning opportunity in the Philippines
- to show them that the Philippines is a great country with great people
- to encourage young Filipinos to sign up for Up with People !
- to get a job in Asia with Up with People (hehe)

During the application process and throughout the first week, I was sort of disappointed that I got this opportunity sort of "late" in life (most cast members are aged 18-21 years old) . But after getting accustomed to the environmentand having meaningful discussions with some people... I now feel that this is the best time for me.

It is good to have established my roots in the Philippines so I won't go blowing in the wind after this! (Nice adventure - but I am not that type of person...)
I will not be surprised if I am unable to reach my personal goals or travel a straight line towards it. We are only 2 weeks into the program (feels like MONTHS already) and the diversity of the group (and each one's personal goals!) prevent one-track discussions from taking place. I sometimes feel so old and boring when I start bringing up these "professional stuff"...
We also came up with group values, on how we want to live and learn throughout the semester:
1. Be respectful, inclusive and thankful
2. Be openminded, flexible, tolerant, patient and understanding
3. Challenge each other
4. Have fun
5. Establish great friendships
6. Maintain a balance between work and fun

But I also have my own!
1. Embrace change and look at each experience as a learning experience.
2. Be thankful and keep in mind that you are not only doing this for yourself but also for your family and your country.
3. Do not lose sight of your goals.
4. Respect people and also be respectable
5. Celebrate differences and diversity
6. Pray, pray, pray.
7. Always remember that you are not alone and there are people back home waiting for you.

1 comment:

Alex Cabales said...

I like the part about doing it for your country... as we always say it here... PARA SA BAYAN... Soar Hanna