Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

My Circle of Nice People

When the time came that I was finally able to say that "I'm really going to UWP!" I told my boss that I was so lucky to be in that part of the world with a HUGE concentration of nice people. Throughout my Up With People application process, I knew that a lot of people rooted for me, cheered for me, prayed for me... my eternal thanks!

To Sam - such a wonderful husband. I know that we are a bit anxious about being away from each other for 5 months, but as he said "This is for your own self fulfillment, I do not want to take a dream away from you." We know that this is a sort of separation that may bring about rewards fro the both of us in the future. (Sam, by the way, is also in training and is barely home. He graduates in January 2008, hopefully.)

To my Parents, my Memi and Pepi - again, I am lucky for having very supportive and "game" parents. I know my Mom prayed for me a lot and my dad also encouraged me to go for it. They have been with me through EVERYTHING. I know they also shared all my stress for this trip --- financially, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

To the UWP staff and most specially to Scott Reeder, Admissions Counselor.

My super-boss Mario Deriquito - who helped me out through the "toughest" part of the program even if it meant "losing his hamster" :-) plus the surprise CSD lunch send-off.

To Reynold Feldman, Executive Director of Blue Sky Associates in Minneapolis, for the outstanding recommendation and for continuing to believe in this Filipina.

Very special thank you to Ms. Bea Zobel, Ms. Loida Lewis, Mr. Archie Velasco, Mr. Simon Mossesgeld (Ninong Sir Mose) , Mr. Dody Naguiat, Tito Benjie Gervasio, Tim and Candice Cipullo, Lola Salud...

Tito Eloy, Tita Ludy and Manu for the wonderful goodbye dinner.
Tito Jojo Guamen and Lukas! For the super special goodbye hug and the bonus "baon"
Tita Girlie and Tito Conrad for my L.A accommodation! Cuz Elvin for the charger assistance...

My special cheerleaders, Maan Samson, Kiel Fernandez, Rico Yee, My Almogino and Geelay Payumo -- you definitely encouraged me lots when I thought I should give up! Kasali na din si Miss Sarah Sevilla, JJ Ferro, Martin Nanawa, Pogz Handig, at ang grad school teacher ko na si Sony Querejero, na walang patid sa pagkumusta and for their genuine happiness! Prayer warriors Aque Holgado, Maricar Yulo and practically the whole CSD family...

Office buddy and Kopi-Mate Nyla Prieto who kept up with my mindless chatter and shared my excitement over everything !! (as in everything!!!)

Ave Mejia ! Next year ikaw naman!

Pat Gallardo for the super nice words and great travel advice (up to now I am carefully analyzing my luggage..) , not to mention for the "extra cappuccino" baon.

Gladys Malto for the last minute shopping companionship, last minute chika, last minute hug!

Jofel Josef and Kakay Rico (plus Nylah ulet!) for the surprise visit this evening. I was not able to pack , but who cares! :-) It was fun seeing you again ! Jofel -- for the laptop bag and kikay kit -- ahh and the wonderful hat!

I am so sleepy now -- I hope I have not forgotten anyone.

Tomorrow, i fly via PAL flight 112 at 8:00 PM -- will try to see if I have the time to post despedida photos before that...

No comments: