Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Saturday, July 14, 2007

On Modules and Internships

It felt like American Idol or Star Circle Quest.

Last Tuesday, July 10 we had “Modules” which meant that we were divided into small groups of around 7 people and made to pass stations for singing, speaking and dancing (movement).

My group first went through movement, where we lined up in front of the dance staff. One of the staff showed us several types of dances and we were made to follow it – ranging from Salsa, Swing, Hip Hop and Jazz. You wouldn’t believe it, but I had a really great time! We had about 45 minutes of this while the staff took down notes.

In between modules, the costume staff looked at the show costumes that we brought (they gave us a color palette to follow a few weeks before the start of program – these are basically just colors of the clothes that we should bring). I liked mine so much – it was a Malaysian skirt owned by my mom when she was studying in Thailand. And it was good that it was approved so I don’t have any problems with my costume right now.

Our next module was vocals. Uh-oh – I made it a point to tell them that I don’t even do karaoke! I would have been more comfortable if I was asked to sing a song that I knew. But what happened was, again, they made us line up in a “firing squad” position, taught us an excerpt of one of the songs from the show and made us sing together. After two rounds of group singing, we had to sing it one by our BY OURSELVES.


I don’t know why but I just couldn’t do it! There were tears in my eyes! I felt so funny and really humiliated! But the people there were so encouraging and all that they made me stand really close to the organist and sang softly when I did my “Solo”. I was amazed that they put me in Soprano. Haha. I had to have a picture with the Music team after that

They also made us speak a little – and this is a part that I hope I get something “important” – but I really doubt it. The cast is made up of so many people having English as their first language.

At the back of my mind I really, really wish I had the talent for the show. A lot of Filipinos are really making it big in singing and dancing and I just feel so bad that I am representing my country without any of these! But hey, the primary reason that I joined Up with People is because of the community impact and education it offered. The show is just like a bonus part that will make me fulfill that secret dream of being an artista – so there!

Today (July 13) they announced lead dancers and lead singers – after seeing the disappointment in some people’s faces I was kind of pleased that I wasn’t one of the super talented ones because I was not expecting to lead in anything! I am looking forward to Filipinos joining UWP with both the talent, passion and personality. I only had the two last characteristics, hehe.

I am planning to apply for an internship though… Students can apply for staff internships and get hands-on learning about the different aspects of the program. I am really interested in applying for Education, Admissions, Photo, Video or Marketing. The student will work with certain members of the Road Staff (people who travel with us on the road) for intensive hand on training for 6 weeks. Just for your information, other internship opportunities are Dance, Vocals, Lights, Sounds, Logistics, Business.

Another special internship is the Advance Team internship, where you will leave the cast one-two weeks in advance to do coordination work in a city that the cast will perform in. This involves mostly logistics and marketing – such as finding host families, arranging for food, orientations, community impact projects that the cast will have, etc.

Too bad that they won’t have Advance Team for the Philippines! But I will still apply for Advance Team and hope that secretariat work in other countries is not much different from secretariat work in the Philippines!

No comments: