Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Monday, July 9, 2007

Leaving for Denver

It looks like blogging will soon be a problem for me. There is just not enough time! Sometimes I will just journal first and upload this later.

6:54 PM Los Angeles Time
10:00 AM Manila

(Struggling to keep awake at an airport terminal. I keep sliding off the leather seats)

I am now here at gate 71B United Airlines in the Los Angeles International Airport – waiting for my flight leaving at 8:30 PM. I am excited to be in Denver, yet very anxious because my bags weigh so much. (As in nahuhubaran ako sa bigat!) – Even the laptop is hard to pull out of the bag.

It turns out they check all laptops for explosives … so whenever I pass through security, I had to pull it out of the bag before they run it through the xrays. Then they will have to wipe it down – Earlier, the inspector guy broke my neoprene laptop sleeve straps. Sigh – he said sorry and he didn’t know how it worked so he just ripped it off. Kaines!

Just a short rundown of my July 5 shopping list:

Swimsuit – my old one got color bled by my orange sarong and it looked so dirty

Walking sneakers – I brought my high cut sneakers along – but it was quite hard to get them on and off during airport security checks so I bought slip ons instead. I have to get used to them tho because my feet hurt a bit after a lot of walking

Waterproof jacket – left my Brazil one in Cerritos and got a more dirt-resistant one on sale from Ross ($98.00 marked down to $12.00!)

Tylenol Allergy – love these! I get allergies from everything.

Body Spray – got some cucumber-smelling cologne. Left my ginger one at home.

Make up – we’re required to bring our own makeup for the show. Hassle! I don’t know how to put them on, and I feel like they’re just extra weight!

I am scheduled to arrive at the Denver International Airport at 11:30 in the evening. Rafael was nice enough to offer to wait for me there (for at least 2 hours) so we can ride the shuttle to the hotel together.

No comments: