Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

July 9- Opening and Welcome Day



Up, Up With People! We got to see some parts of the show.

(delayed posting)

Writing this in between breaks.. today was opening day and I am so overwhelmed with everything that is happening. There are over 100 new faces – different cultures, different first impressions – what a very, very unique experience.

Right this very minute – I just need quiet time. This morning was a mixture of emotions for me. Seeing some parts of the show and performing alumni and hearing the songs brought tears into my eyes. I cannot imagine that in 4 weeks I will be able to perform like them. It was beautiful and exciting.

We had a variety of other getting to know you activities – and again whenever I am feeling happy or feeling a bit homesick, I sometimes ask myself, “Hanna, what have you done? Are you really serious in thinking that you can pull this off?”

I am missing home and sometimes I feel uncomfortable… but I hope this blows over soon. I’ve made a few friends and I love them. And we also have small groups called “home teams” that will meet each day to process experiences and learnings. I’ll try to name them : Maria (Sweden), Josh (USA), Rasmus (Denmark), Jaylee (Hawaii), Iliana (Mexico), Emily (USA) – ahah , I think I got them all. It’s really hard to memorize everyone’s names ! we will be 111 students all in all and will travel in 2 separate casts.

We still do not know our final Cast – they said we’ll find out after auditions…

I miss home and I miss Tagalog!


This is our rehearsal building. Yup we got the whole building to ourselves! Vocals in the basement, lunch and staff meetings at the ground floor, then we also have a ballroom for cast meetings, and 4th floor is the auditorium, and there is a landing used for the dance routines. The building is about a hundred years old! very nice.



Here is the ballroom where most cast meetings happen. More to come.. it is really hard to keep up with the blogging. Here is what our schedule for the week looks like. You can see that this is not a vacation!



1 comment:

Alex Cabales said...

di'ba hawaii is part of the States... bakit "Jaylee (Hawaii)"... hehehe nang iinis lang ako... here's a dose of Tagalog... Naiinggit talaga ako sa'yo