Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mahal ko ang Pilipinas (I love the Philippines!)

After a very smooth flight from Brussels-to-Frankfurt-to-China-to-Manila (there's a story in between but I'll post that as soon as I get my laptop to connect to the Internet -- ah yes I am typing this from our old Desktop PC in Binan, Laguna) I felt like I haven't even been gone for the past few months.

Yes, Philippines still feels like home and the hot and humid weather was more of a welcome comfort for me than an annoyance that I expected.

It was funny to struggle a bit with the I-don't-know-why-they-constructed-it-that-way arrival lane at the NAIA (have you ever been there? It's quite impossible to navigate a heavy trolley down there alone, it is sloped downwards and has a sharp curve that is also still sloped. It was kind of funny) but I was way too excited to care. After hugging my husband tearfully , it was also great to met Luis Petzhold, the fun UWP Community Relations Coordinator here in Manila.

My first craving was a Regular Yum with Cheese at Jollibee (it's a cheeseburger , and Jollibee is a Filipino fastfood chain) . Mmm.

I feel like the whole 4 months of UWP was just a dream and far far away, but the cast is arriving here in Manila on Tuesday and I just can't believe it! It will feel so weird to have them "invade" my Pinoy lifestyle. I am honestly afraid of the responsibility that I have for my country and UWP now..

But I have a very good feeling that they will love our country. Where else can you get warmth and hospitality AND the English language spoken everywhere? Here, we can get Italian pasta, Danish cookies, Japanese food, German franks, American fatty food, European fashion, pretty girls, great beer. All the best of life while still keeping in touch with the reality of it as well.

Saan ka pa?

No comments: