Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Friday, September 21, 2007

Coos Bay: The End of my Education Internship

Photo: Ellen was my staff partner for the Education internship. I had fun working with her.

Coos Bay was my intern city. This meant it was my chance to "run" the city as if I were the staff member. Since it was only a 3-day city, it was not that hard to setup. Also, count the fact that we only had one community service project for the whole cast. (This meant I did not have to divide the cast in many groups going to different places!)

I was so excited for our project in Coos Bay! It was a coastal cleanup while learning all about the Oregon Coast. As I did the announcements for the trip, I was so disappointed to notice that my name was NOT on the list! I was so bummed that I wasn't able to go -- and they saw whales and seals and also had a pretty awesome experience ! Please click this link if you want to learn more about the cast's day at the beach!

http://www.castb2007.com/2007/09/17/sunset-beach-coos-bay-by-cast-b/

This was because the all the interns were signed out to meet with the cast manager to talk about applying internship lessons to real life. We were also given tips on how to write our UWP experience in our resumes or curriculum vitae.

Coos Bay was indeed a very charming city for me -- I thought it was a funky, artsy town and I had fun doing promotions around town with Sophie from China. (Promotions is when we go around telling people about the show , we also give out flyers and posters) They had a lot of quirky stores and a really cool scrapbook store! If I wasn't with Sophie, I would have just ditched promo and stayed there!


Show day in Coos Bay was very challenging but fun. We were in a very old venue called the Egyptian Theater, with no dressing rooms and barely a backstage. We had to setup tents outside in the biting cold so we can have a place to dress up in.

It was also the Coos Bay Fun Festival, and we got to perform a BTS there (BTS is Back Tracking Show, remember? A small preview of the show for free!) on top of a flatbed truck! It was also my first time to be in a small BTS Crew -- they usually get the dancers and singers for it to make sure that it will turn out alright. I guess I qualified for the "diverse" criteria ;-)

Coos Bay was very memorable for me - aside from having a great host mom who makes great breakfast (thanks so much Pat!) , I had a super cool roommate (Go Suze from the Netherlands!) - Ellen and I had a closing of my internship run (one on one), and then the Education team also had a closing meeting at the local Dairy Queen. Even if the internship is over, I am still looking forward to helping the Ed team as much as I can. I might have not enjoyed the logistics/ admin part of it, but I did enjoy the research, planning and execution parts of it. I definitely learned a lot, but maybe not as much as I could have. I have a lot more to learn! I felt like I did not do well enough in public speaking and putting my thoughts into (spoken) word.

Now, we are in Portland - first city without the internship and I feel like I have so much idle time it's crazy. I am always looking around feeling that I have to do something! Argh :-)

GO INTERNS ! Here is a photo of the first round of Interns after our closing meeting. We will miss working, but welcoming the less hectic schedule as well!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

InternZoo.com offers an online database of Education internships. Just perform
a google search for Education internships New York, or Education internships California
to find us.InternZoo.com offers an online database of Education internships.Get
more at Education
Internship New York
,Education
Internships California
,Education
Internships
,Summer
Education Internships
,

Paid Education
Internships
.

Unknown said...

InternZoo.com offers an online database of Education internships. Just perform a google search for Education internships New York, or Education internships California to find us.InternZoo.com offers an online database of Education internships.Get more at Education Internship New York,Education Internships California,Education Internships,Summer Education Internships,Paid Education Internships.