Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Changes -- and Wilkommen!

Change in itinerary again! Notice that Lecco is no longer listed -- because we are going to Milan, Italy! I have never seen the Filipino movie "Milan" and now I have the sudden urge to see it. It is supposedly about a Filipino guy who goes to Milan to find his lost wife who was working there. I am excited to go to Milan because I heard that it is a gorgeous place and probably lots of Filipinos (I hope to gain more and more insight into the lives of Filipino immigrants and OFWs - a goal that suddenly popped up as I travel around)

I almost missed Italy -- because I applied for Europe Advance work. Advance work is another Up With People internship opportunity where a student will go ahead of the cast to a city in the itinerary to help in setting up and preparations. Yes, the student will most probably miss 2-3 cities or countries in the itinerary to focus on logistics, admissions, promotions, host family hunting , etc -- in an upcoming city. Sounds bad, I know, because who'd want to miss travel? But the opportunity and challenge of working in an entirely new environment is really too good to pass up.

I will be doing Advance Work for our 2nd German city, Prenzlau. I will be going with Ljuan Zequiri from Macedonia, and we were told that we were supposed to leave as soon as we get to Italy and spend 3 weeks preparing Prenzlau. Both of us were so disappointed because we were really looking forward to Italy. Good thing plans changed and we will leave Italy after one week!

I still feel bad that I will miss Switzerland - but just like what my mom always says, "You can't have your cake and it eat, too" ( or in this case, maybe chocolate!)

Wilkommen Prenzlau! For more information about Prenzlau, you can check out this site: http://www.prenzlau.info/

No comments: