Hanna Fernando-Pacua (PHILIPPINES) temporarily leaves her comfort zone to travel, serve, and perform around the world in five months. She hopes to share with you this very meaningful experience.

Up with People provides students with an extraordinary semester of traveling the world. As a student your perspectives on the world will never be the same. UWP is for that certain student who's looking for an intense, hands-on, involved global educational experience. The program addresses the very real need for young adults and leaders who have global perspectives, intercultural understanding, knowledge of worldwide social issues, leadership skills and a dedication to community service. For more information, visit www.upwithpeople.org.

HANNA's SATTELITE SITE and GALLERY (+ photos, videos, calendar) http://www.bananaspinuwp.multiply.com/

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

How it all began...

I work for Ayala Foundation, Inc -- a corporate foundation of one of the biggest business conglomerates in the Philippines. We have different programs on education and youth development, environment and corporate citizenship. Check out the website at http://www.ayalafoundation.org/

In one of her trips, our president was able to get the Up with People annual report and sent some copies to our office. The catchy cover , as well as the tagline "Getting involved in communities. Getting communities involved" caught not only my eye, but also my heart.
As I browsed through the report, I got even more and more excited. Travel. Performance. Service.

That is just so Hanna. I felt like the qualifications described me perfectly!

If you're between the ages of 18-29, interested in becoming a global citizen and looking to be engaged in meaningful community service and an inspiring musical performance,then click here to begin your adventure!

I immediately applied!

First step was the application form. I was so happy when they contacted me for an online interview. What followed was a phone interview from the Enrollment Services Coordinator of UWP Denver.. since we had to take note of the time difference, they called me at around 10:30 in the evening! It was a good 45 minutes of interview which I thoroughly enjoyed!

Fantastic that I passed and I was accepted to the July 2007 cast!

I immediately applied for Financial aid and scholarship from Up with People. And miracles upon miracles, I was awarded some. :-) Very generous individuals also gave me some more funds to cover my counterpart funding. I cannot thank you enough!

So now -- I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my Shengen visa. Two steps away from full blown UWP trip! (the VISA and the fully booked planes...)

If I swing this, I vow to be a very good Filipina delegate -- somebody you can be proud of!

No comments: